math 133: College Algebra (3)
Course Prerequisites/Corequisites: Prerequisite: MATH 131 or a passing score on the mathematics portion of the TSI Assessment Examination.
Course Description: Concise overview of functions and their graphs including linear, quadratic, polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic functions and their applications, and solving equations, inequalities and system of equations. Three hours of lecture per week. Listed as MATH 1314 in the Texas Common Course Numbering System.
Textbook: Algebra and Trigonometry 10th Edition by Sullivan.
- Equations and Inequalities
- Functions and Their Graphs:
- Function (definition, function values, domain, sum, difference, product and quotient of functions)
- The graph of a function
(Identify the graph of a function, obtain information from a graph)
- Properties of functions
(Even and odd, increasing and decreasing, maxima/minima, Average rate of change)
- Library of functions; Piecewise-defined functions
- Graphing techniques: Transformation
- Mathematical Models: Building functions
- Linear and quadratic equations
- Polynomial and Rational Functions.
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Composite function
- One-to-one Functions; Inverse functions
- Exponential functions
- Logarithmic functions
- Properties of Logarithms
- Logarithmic and exponential equations